Sunday, January 19, 2014

Week of Miracles


Hello friends.

This week was good! I think. I don't actually remember much of it because on Friday night I decided to eat a questionable convenience store sandwich for dinner and then woke up at 4:00 the next morning and proceeded to continually throw up multiple times throughout the day. Twenty times, in fact. It was the worst and right now I'm not quite at my best, so I regret to inform you that this email shall be a short one.

But here are some miracles or something.


Miracle 1

Today marks the start of my fourth transfer on my mission and my companion, my roommates, and I are all staying together! I was particularly grateful for this on the aforementioned Saturday, as they took excellent care of me and ensured that my "Day of Puking" was spent as comfortably as could be reasonably achieved.

Miracle 2

Once upon a time, like four weeks ago, my companion and I met this random grandma in 세종 (Sejong, the other area I serve in) who said that her husband had just died and she was really lonely and she knew about the Mormons and she wanted to join our church.

[Sidenote: Things like this do not happen very often.]

Anyway, she wouldn't give us her name or her address, so we had very little hope of ever seeing her again until one day, the elders found her while knocking on doors! But, remember this all happened like, four weeks ago. Ever since then, we've stopped by her apartment every time we were in 세종, desperately trying to visit her. We've left messages, we've left hearts--nothing. She was never home.

And then this week, most horrifyingly, when we stopped at her apartment door, we saw the notice that she had missed paying her gas bill twice in a row and so the gas company was now turning off her gas. All I could think was, "Oh goodness, she's dead."

But, good news! While I was sick, a miracle happened! After weeks and weeks she finally called and she wants to meet us this week. Our grandma investigator isn't dead!

Miracle 3

Yesterday, as I was still exhausted, sore, and a bit queasy after throwing up all the day before, my companion and I decided that we would just attend sacrament meeting and the baptism after church and then call it a day. But of course, as life goes, yesterday just happened to be the day that two of our investigators decided to come to church (remember, in Korea, investigators coming to church is a big deal). In fact, one of our investigators got to church before we did! She called us and was like, "Um, hi. I'm at your church and I don't know anyone here so...where are you?" It was so sad/hilarious/horrible. I'm just grateful for our saintly members and fellow Gongju missionaries who took good care of her until we could get to church.

Miracle 4

As I've been reading through the New Testament these past few weeks, I came across this scripture in John that in my previous readings of the Gospel of John I've underlined in red and black, highlighted in yellow, and outlined in blue. It is, by far, one of my favorite scriptures in the entire New Testament and yet I always seem to forget about it. It's Christ speaking to His disciples. 

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)


I hope you all had wonderful weeks and that nobody threw up.

Love,
Sister Abba

No comments:

Post a Comment